Resource Editor: How to Edit Delphi Programs
Programs compiled using Delphi/C++ Builder do not commonly have menu, dialog, or accelerator resources, but store this information in a resource type named RCData that holds the information that were in the DFM (Delphi Form Module) file before the compilation.
When examining a program written in Delphi/C++ Builder, Resource Tuner visualizes in text mode all the loaded DFMs of the target executable and reconstitutes them in editable form.
Each Delphi Form has a collection of properties and events - such as a caption, size, font color and style, mouse click, keypress, or component activation for which some additional behavior is specified. The properties are different for each type of form, some properties apply to most forms. Altering a form property changes the way a form behaves and appears in an application.
Changing a Bitmap on the Delphi Form
1. Expand the RCData folder that’s found in the Resource Tree view, and select the DFM resource item to be edited in the Resource Tree view.
2. Open the DFM resource using the Resource Editor button or the popup menu displayed by right-clicking the Resource Tree. Or simply double-click the resource item directly.
3. Navigate through the objects displayed in a hierarchical tree to find an object to be edited. All assigned properties and events will be displayed.
4. Select an object property or value entry by clicking it in the displayed ListView.
5. Make any desired changes. Improperly altered property can cause a modified program to crash at run time. So be careful. Entering values outside the range of valid values for a property may render the target program inoperable. Don't experiment on the only copy of a file.
6. Press the Apply button to apply your newly entered value for this property or event.
7. Press OK to close the Resource Editor and select 'File' -> 'Save File As ...' to save the changes you've just made to the target file. If warned that the image size has changed, click "Yes" to update the file size.
Any change you make can be restored prior to quitting the editor using the OK button. To abort your changes quit the editor using the Cancel button.
Give Resource Tuner a trial run for 30 days free! Once you try it, we think you will find it hard to go back to other resource hacking utilities. So if you decide to purchase it, it's only $39.95 for the Personal License. A Business license is available for $79.95.